187729, The Leningrad region,

Lodeynopolsky rayon,

Old Sloboda village, 61

Order banquet +7 (931) 353 62 27

Mobile +7 (921) 363 77 41

Administrator+7 (81364) 4 44 44

+7 (81364) 4 44 04

Sights of interest

One of the advantages of the location of Old Sloboda hotel and restaurant complex is its vicinity to the Svyato-Troitsky Alexander Svirsky male monastery.

The monastery was founded in the end of the 15th century by St Alexander Svirsky (Alexander of Svir). During the lifetime of its founder, the cloister consisted of two complexes connected with each other, but located independently of one another: Trinity (Troitsky) and Transfiguration (Preobrazhensky).

The oldest structure in the Trinity cloister is the stone Pokrovsky church which was built in 1533 with the involvement of Alexander Svirsky himself. The church is built in Novgorod style.

Among individual structures that must be highlighted when describing the Svyato-Troitsky Alexander Svirsky monastery are:

-          The stone Transfiguration (Preobrazhensky) cathedral with the aisle of Alexander Svirsky, which was erected in 1644;

-          The Life-Giving Trinity stone cathedral – built in 1791 on the site of an ancient church that had been erected by St Alexander Svirsky himself and consecrated in 1509;

-          The church of Elizabeth and Zacharia built in 1685;

-          The church of Saint John of Damascus (Iohann Damaskin) built in 1718;

-          The stone Saint Trinity chapel, which was built in the exact place where, according to the ancient legend, the Holy Trinity appeared to Alexander Svirsky.

From 1764 to 1786, the Trinity cloister of the monastery served as a residence for Olonets and Kargopolsk archbishops. Beginning in 1873, a vicariate was established at the monastery; and the hegumenship of the monastery was transferred to Olonets and Petrozavodsk archbishops.

Beginning in 1890, the monastery was once again made self-sufficient and cenobitic, with a special archimandrite superior.

During the years of the revolution (1917 – 1918), the monastery was attacked. The robbers demanded money and riches that supposedly belonged to the monastery. Afterwards, all of the brethren along with the superior were executed. The relics of St Alexander Svirsky were impounded by the authorities.

As the relics of the Saint proved to be incorrupt, it was decided in 1918 to secretly transport them to the Military-Medical Academy of Saint Petersburg. The monastery was shut down, and on its premises a mental hospital was instituted.

In the early 1990s, the authorities transferred the Holy Trinity cathedral to the Russian Orthodox Church, and in August of 1997 an official transfer of the Alexander Svirsky monastery to the community of brethren took place.

The relics of Saint Alexander Svirsky were discovered for the second time in 1998. On the 28th of July of the same year, they were transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church. Currently, the incorrupt relics are resting at the Church of St Zacharia and Elizabeth adjacent to the Transfiguration cathedral. Relics are accessible from 8.00 am until 9.00 pm daily (access is limited from 12.00 pm until 3.00 pm).

Aside from Svyato-Troitsky Alexander Svirsky male monastery, Lodeinopolsky region is also home to Vvedeno-Oyatsk nunnery in the village of Rassvet, and Pokrovsky Tervenichesky nunnery in Tervenichi. Additionally, populated communities of the region are home to a great number of churches and chapels